Thursday 21 April 2011

Surprise Package

Those of you who regularly read this blog (as in the first two posts) would know that there are many things that I miss about Aus. Mostly, it's the sunshine. Fortunately, the sun has been shining in the UK of late, so my thirst for the sun has been quenched and my Vitamin D levels restored. Another thing I miss are certain Australian biscuits and lollies (sweeties to you Brits). It is not that these are the tastiest or finest biscuits and lollies I have ever had but I love them because they evoke fond memories and remind me of times gone by. 

Take the humble Clinker for example. The quality of the chocolate coating is actually quite poor and the candy center isn't anything to write on a blog about, but one bite and I am transported back to my grandparents kitchen, sitting around the table with them drinking a lemonade. You see my Grandma had a lolly jar, and she ALWAYS kept it stocked with Clinkers for her children and grandchildren when they visited. 

Or the Chico Baby. Which to many is just a simple chocolate lolly, but when on your request your Mum drives down to the shop late at night because you are frantically studying for an exam and need some sustenance, it is the most delicious lolly of all. 

You can imagine my excitement then when a packaged arrived yesterday stocked with all my favourites. Mum had gone absolutely overboard, the price of sending them far outweighing the cost of the treats themselves.


All my favourites were there. 

 

And the best (and most surprising) treat of all - Saos. Just one Sao with a good lathering of butter and vegemite and you know everything is going to be ok.

5 comments:

  1. So glad it arrived..share it with your special friends..I had fun putting it all together and am lucky enough to have a local post office that is prepared for me to put things in to make up a good weight. Memories of grandad and grandma are safe for another generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, I live in Australia but would really like your Mum to send me a package like this too. ;)

    BTW, glad your mum is doing your blog promoting for you, or I'd never have known you'd joined in!

    xxx Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I LOVE your profile description. So you Shan. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pheebs I tried to 'follow' you this morning but I couldn't figure out how? Any suggestions. Will try again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I think I accidentally deleted the link to it when I made some updates recently. It's back there now, on the right under the SUBSCRIBE links xx

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete