Monday 18 April 2011

Choc Cross Buns

Despite much initial trepidation and many, many tears, the decision to live abroad has been the second best decision I've ever made.* That is not to say that I don't miss home because I do, but more often than not I am able to keep this feeling in check. At certain times through out the year though - Christmas, birthdays, and at the moment Easter - I feel myself missing home more than usual. If we were living in Australia, my husband and I would probably be gearing up for the East Coast Blues and Roots Festival - a five day music festival in Byron Bay, and a highlight of our year. Instead we are off to France (which of course is amazing), but I think a part of both of us would rather just be lying on the grass in the sunshine listening to some live music. It is on these these 'religious' holidays that I crave certain foods. Right now I long for a Darrel Lea Nougat Egg** and an unconventional, but exceptionally tasty, 'choc cross bun' (which I suspect are lining every supermarket and bakery shelf back home right now). The genius of omitting the mixed spice and swapping the raisins for choc chips has been lost on the English.

I was commenting on their absence to my dear friend Bek who, after an unsuccessful search of the supermarkets, arrived at my house on Saturday night with a dozen homemade ones. They were absolutely delicious and were the perfect remedy for my homesickness. It is meeting friends like Bek that have made this decision the second best I have ever made. 




*The best decision I ever made was to marry by husband
** The year Darrel Lea decided to put their staff on Australian Workplace Agreements (AWA) causing a husband inflicted boycott of the chocolatier was a terrible year

2 comments:

  1. And I'll miss the Darryl Lee Rocklea Road Easter egg you always buy me. I'll sit on the grass at Byron on Tuesday and you will be with me in spirit. Those hot cross buns look sensational for sure. Well done Bek..she's done way better than I could have done with HCBs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you like to swap with me? you can have my hot cross buns and I'll go to France for you?
    at least the British get Cadbury Creme Eggs all year round!

    ReplyDelete